Section 2 The purpose of this squadron shall be as follows:
2. Associate Membership – shall consist of any individual who meets the following qualifications:
3. Full Voting Corporate Membership – shall consist of any company or corporation who meets the following qualifications:
4. Non-Voting Corporate Member – shall consist of any company or corporation who meets the following qualifications:a. A group of individuals who subscribe to the purposes and principles of TOPPS as stated in the organization by- laws.
5. Race Member – shall conform to items (A1, A2, & A3)
6. Guest Member –shall consist of any individual who meets the following qualifications.
Section 3 Membership Status:
1. A Full Member shall revert to Associate Member status if he/she fails to meet any of the requirements of full membership as stated in Article II, Section 2-1 of the Squadron by-laws. This shall occur at the time of renewal of the annual dues or, after six months of non-compliance with the full membership requirements, whichever comes first.
2. Membership status in TOPPS can be revoked by the following procedures: A complaint against a member is received in writing by a member of the TOPPS Executive Committee; Executive Committee notifies the accused member either verbally or in writing of the nature of the complaint in detail, (name(s) of complainant(s) withheld). The accused has ten (10) days to submit a formal response either in writing or by requesting a hearing. After due consideration the Executive Committee will take whatever action they deem appropriate, up to and including expelling the accused member from the squadron. Decisions of the Executive Committee will be final. The accused may appeal the Executive Committee decision by presenting his/her case at a general membership meeting and a secret ballot shall be taken at that same meeting to decide whether to overrule the Executive Committee’s decision.
3. A full member who has been in good standing with TOPPS for the past immediate three consecutive years may petition the Executive Committee to waive Boating Performance and Length Requirements in order to maintain full voting membership with TOPPS if said member elects to change his or her boat preference. (Amended 1999).
4. An associate member or corporate non-voting member who has been in good standing with TOPPS for the past immediate three consecutive years may petition the Executive Committee to change membership status to full voting member. The Executive Committee may waive boat performance and length requirements subject to said member having proof of current insurance on their boat and a Boating Safety Certificate.
5. Any spouse married to a Member that loses their member Spouse to death and that member was a Full Voting Member or a Full Voting Corporate Member in good standing, the Spouse can remain a Member of TOPPS for as long as they desire. As a member they will still have to comply with Article II, Section I-9, having completed a boating safety course. (Amended October 2004)
Section 1 Officers:
2. The Officers shall be nominated at the annual meeting and voted on at the meeting following.
Section 2 Duties of Officers:
1. The President shall be the principal executive officer of the squadron and shall preside at all meetings of the membership as well as the Executive Committee. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees and will carry out all other duties assigned in these by-laws. The President must be a Full Member as defined in Article II, Section 2-1.
Section 3 Executive Committee:
1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the Four Elected Squadron Officers, three at-large members, and past presidents of TOPPS as defined in Article III, Section 3-3. This committee shall be responsible for the performance of the day-to-day squadron activities, call general membership meetings, present recommendations for action by the general membership and control the finances of the squadron.
2. The three at-large members of the Executive Committee will be appointed by the four elected officers, and their appointment will be announced at the general meeting following election of the officers.
3. An outgoing president shall become an at-large member of the Executive Committee for a period not to exceed one (1) year, following election and installation of a new president.
4. The Executive Committee shall meet no less than eight (8) times a year and shall meet once a month during the months of April through September.
Section 4 Standing Committees:
2. Race Committee – This committee shall consist of a Committee Chairman (appointed by the Executive Committee) and as many squadron members as are necessary to organize the event. This committee is responsible to organize sanctioned races in the surrounding Gulf Coast waters.
3. Social Committee – This committee shall consist of a Committee Chairman (appointed by the Executive Committee) and no less than three (3) squadron members. This committee shall be responsible for proposing club activities (fun-runs, dances, etc.) to the Executive Committee for further action.
Section 1 The regular business meetings of the Squadron shall be called by the Executive Committee. There shall be at lease eight (8) regular business meetings called by the Executive Committee and these shall be held at least once a month during the months of April through September.
Section 2 The President and/or the Executive Committee shall have the power to call special meetings of the Squadron when they deem it necessary or advisable. In the case of these special meetings, notice shall be given to all members by mail or by telephone at least forty- eight (48) hours before the meeting.
Section 3 The Executive Committee is responsible to call at lease one meeting in September which shall be considered the Annual Meeting.
Section 4 The Executive Committee shall meet prior to the regular business meetings. The time and place of such meetings shall be established by mutual consent of the committee members.
Section 5 A quorum at a regular business meeting shall consist of at least twenty percent (20%) of the voting membership and shall include at least three (3) Executive Committee Members.
Section 6 All members shall be expected to attend all regular business meetings. (Amended March 3, 2004)
Section 2 Candidates for President or Vice-President shall be limited to Full Membership squadron members in good standing.
Section 3 Candidates for Secretary and Treasurer shall be limited to Full Membership squadron members in good standing.
Section 4 Nominations for the Squadron Officers shall be accepted from the floor at the Annual Meeting. Voting shall be accomplished by secret ballot at the next monthly meeting, with the current Secretary responsible for the count. (All elections are to be decided by a majority vote of 51% or more of the voting members present, establishing a quorum. In the event that no one person in an election acquires 51% or more of the vote, a run-off between the two individuals with the highest percentage of votes shall be conducted without delay to determine the majority vote.) (Amended 1999)
Section 5 All vacancies on the Executive Committee shall be appointed by the President. The appointee shall serve out the unexpired term of the predecessor.
Section 1 Only Squadron members with Full Membership and members of the Executive Committee shall have the right to vote.
Section 2 Voting shall be done in person at general membership meetings. Absentee ballots are unacceptable.
Section 1 This constitution and by-laws may be amended at any regular business meeting. The amendment shall be submitted in writing to the Executive Board prior to the meeting for review. This amendment shall be presented at the next general meeting then published in the newsletter following the general meeting. The amendment will be voted on at the second general meeting after the proposal was submitted. Amendment approval will require two-thirds (2/3) vote of the voting members present.
Section 1 Annual Dues are $175 for memberships. Annual dues for Full Voting Corporate Members are $250. Nonvoting Corporate Members are $300 and Associate Members are $200.00 (Amended September 12, 2002). (Per amendment February 1999), Officers and Directors dues are waived.
Section 2 All dues are payable by the first general membership meeting each year. Failure to comply will result in being barred from participation in any squadron events and deletion from the TOPPS newsletter.
Section 3 The annual dues can only be changed by amendment to the Squadron by-laws (see Article VII).
A PDF version of this document can be downloaded here.